Pages

Saturday 11 May 2013

Picture This #199 ~ Spring

Great theme and thanks for hosting Heidi. We had to wait a long while for spring, but at last something is happening. Actually it happened so quickly that I could hardly keep up with the pace.

Here is the view from my garden towards our little forest where the crows live up on the branches of the highest trees. On the left you can see my apple tree which has just started to blossom and on the right in my garden something known as a Eurasien smoke tree, completing the frame to the view over the hedges.

Landscape - from my garden
I really am not sure what this is. I have about four of them growing in the garden and is probably qualified as "weed". However I found something similar in Internet known as Rhexia, although I am still not sure. Anyhow I am glad for them as they make a nice contrast between other plants.
Rhexia
And here is my surprise of the week. We have really been having some cold temperatures accompanied by rain and I really thought my cucumbers would not show their heads, but they have. However, it seems that something called a Shaggy Mane Mushroom decided to accompany the seedlings, finding that the damp climate is just perfect. So here it is.
Shaggy Mane Mushroom amongst the cucumber seedlings

12 comments:

  1. Lovely view from the garden, so many shades of green. I think your lavender flowers are Dame's Rocket (called that here at least) if they have 4 petals. They are so pretty how can they be a weed? And hurrah for the darling little mushroom in the cucumber bed. That is a very nice and unusual shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out what my flowers are. They are known as honesty here. If I had waited for the seed pods to form I would have known. They are flat disks with a seed in them and make the flower even very pretty when in seed.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty garden shots, Pat! What a lovely scene to have outside one's window. All I can see here is another HUGE apartment building across the street. I ENVY everyone their gardens!!! It's refreshing to see things growing. I miss my garden down south and I would have been really excited to see my cucumbers sprouting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat. Three really good shots for Heidi's theme. Lovely view in the first shot, I particularly like the colour of the smoke tree. I don't know what the flower is in the second shot, but it's a beautiful colour and you captured it in great light. That perky little mushroom looks right at home amongst the cucumber seedings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your veggies do just great and love that little mushroom that made a surprise visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your spring is starting off beautifully, I agree with you about the weed, it is a pretty color...I have had lots of mushrooms popping up too...the hedge in the top shot is very handsome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful trio of shots. I especially love the purple flowers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat yes we waited a looong time this year for spring and voila it was here
    all yours are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi pat love your colourful pics and my fav is the last one. cheerio

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty three shots, Pat! I wish I could have open my windows and look at a garden like yours... The second one, I don't know how it's called, either, but it's familiar to me. It grows spontaneously and I like its colour. Cool shot of the mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pat, I like how you framed the first shot with the apple tree on the left and the smoke tree on the right. The flowers in the second photo seem delicate. They make a nice contrast with the background. The capture of the mushroom is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use to collect the Shaggy Mane Mushrooms in Fairbanks and cook them in butter. Very tasty. very nice shots and signs of spring.

    ReplyDelete