Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

Picture This #195 ~ Tunnel Or Arch

Hello everyone, the angloswiss Pat is organising this week's Picture This. Mitch is winging his way across the pond to the States, something about seeing Joanne. I am a bit early this week, but Saturday morning is always full of cleaning and cooking. New subjects are getting rare, so do not go into schock when I say this week the photo subject will be "Tunnel or Arch", short and sweet. Manmade, or by nature, or your own private construction, it does not matter.

This was taken from the car when we were on our way to the town of Biel in Switzerland from Solothurn where we live. The motorway was then only about a year old.
Gallery motorway Biel-Solothurn




This is the riverside path along the River Aar which is just at the bottom of our street. I walk along this path when I go to the town of Solothurn.
Path on the bank of the River Aare
And this is the Gate of Basel, on the Eastern side of our town of Solothurn. There is another similar Gate on the Western side (the Gate of Biel). The town is very old, founded by the Romans, and a lot has been preserved. The red and white shields right and left of the gate show the Solothurn badge.

Baseltor, Solothurn


14 comments:

  1. Hi Pat !! Many thanks for hosting this week. I don't actually leave until early Sunday morning, although I'll be busy most of Saturday getting ready. I might just have time to post an entry of my own, but probably not enough time to do the rounds. I'll see.

    Good theme, nice to see you looking for something new. I like the impression of speed in the first shot. Nice sparkling new motorway. I like that second shot. Is it an actual arch in the distance, or an optical effect created by the positioning of the trees and bushes? Love that third shot, such an imposing arch and a great frame for the buildings beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees grow so close together along the path that it gives the impression that it is an arch from the distance. Good subjects for photos.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pat, interesting theme. The roadway in the first reminds me of some of the stacked highways here in New York City.

    I love the way the trees arch over the pathway.I love to see street like that, too! Very pretty!

    The old Roman gate is awesome. Do the names of the two gates have any particular meaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solothurn is a very old, built at the time when defence was the main thing against others, so the towns were built with armed gates and surrounded by moats filled with water. We had three gates, one facing the direction of Basel, one facing the road to Biel and another towards Bern. The Bern gate has disappeared over the years, but there are still names of restaurants etc. showing that there was once a gate. Also the moat and fortification is still there, but no longer water, just grass and stone walls.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pat, I think this is a delightful theme!! On this grey dreary day, I will need to get out the old camera and get busy. Thank you for getting me off my sofa. Also I love your pictures and especially the riverside path. I walk one similar and now I shall think of you when I do. It's wonderful that such places exist for us to traverse and feel close to the green earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat thanks for being our leader this week
    great theme
    your three are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots. Love the mid one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi pat lovely shots. the third one is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three great examples for a wonderful theme I am just about to post mine, very nice work Pat;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pat. Thank you for hosting. Great theme too.

    I love all your examples, the middle is my favourite. Such a lovely walk ................... will see if can find something and be back a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the modern feel in the top one and the old world feel in the last, the middle on has me wanting to walk that path...a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pat, I like your choice for the theme. The shot in the motorway is great. I like your composition. The curved wall and the ceiling leads the viewer down. You caught it well while riding as the passenger. I love the walking path. It must give you a feeling of serenity.You framed the gate well with the pedestrians. The closest experience to have walked through a gate like this is when we walked through City Hall in Philadelphia. I do regret not photographing that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure I have any photos to fit this theme but will give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Pat, another good choice of theme from you! Love the first for its composition, the second for its depth and the beautiful greens and the third for making me want to walk through that Roman gate.

    ReplyDelete